How do I fix a leaky faucet?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cubfan4evr, Dec 27, 2004.

1. cubfan4evr

cubfan4evr New Member

I haxe an Artistic Brass single handle bathtub / shower faucet. It is either a ceramic disk or a ball joint. It is leaking hot water. The problem is that I cannot get it apart to fix. I have removed all of the allen wrench screws holding the handle on, but the handle will not come off. I am afraid that I will break something creating even more problems.
  2. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

If you can't take it apart without something breaking on it, then maybe time for a new faucet.
  3. charlotechai

charlotechai New Member

Leaky faucet

Hmn, it might be time for a new faucet, but I suggest that you try to fix it yourself before you have to resort to buying a new one. I went to this site to figure out how to fix my leaking shower head:

http://gabwith.us/diy-and-home-improvement/how-to-fix-dripping-faucets/

And I realized that it was the washer that needed to be replaced. But if you are having problems unscrewing the entire thing, then may call a plumber? It's either that, or your risk breaking something, and then you're back to plan A. recommended by Plumber2000 and buying a new faucet.

Charlote
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Ab

If the handle was held by setscrews it pulls off once they are removed. If it doesn't it is stuck and has to be tapped off since you cannot use a handle puller. Artistic Brass did not make their own faucet valves. They used Price Pfister or some other common brand, depending on the age of the faucet.