How do I find tub drain in roughed-in basement bath?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by VonChuck, Sep 13, 2013.

1. VonChuck

VonChuck New Member

I would like to finish a roughed-in Basement Bath.
    The original plumber told me he would have put a drain for the tub, but could not remember which side.
    I cut exploration holes where the dap-out would be and have dug down about 10", but cannot find a drain pipe.
    What do I do next ?

A few details:
    * House was built in 2004.
    * 3" waste pipe goes down 19", from floor to bend, in direction of arrow.
    * 2" lav pipe goes down 8" from floor to bend, in direction of arrow. (This pipe extends up to roof as 1.5" vent.)
    * Left wall is back of house. Right side is toward street.
    * Distance from left dap-out to 3" waste is 2 feet.

[​IMG]
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

You should have called a pipe locator BEFORE you busted the slab. Pipe locators are so accurate, they leave nothing guessing.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There is absolutely nothing that a "pipe locator" could have used to find a buried dead end plastic line. If he was a "real plumber" he would have put a "box", filled with dirt, at the end of the pipe which would have been covered with a "skim coat" of concrete. If so, tap on the floor with a hammer until you hear a "hollow" sound. Otherwise, the only way is to start breaking concrete, and hope he REALLY did install the pipe at that location. I would have put it at the "right" side of the tub closest to the other plumbing.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would guess "Right hand" tub also. Normally we put the drain side on the same side as the toilet.
  5. VonChuck

VonChuck New Member

Thanks "hj" and Terry.
    I was a bit concerned when I couldn't find a skimmed-over dap-out box.
    The original Licensed Plumber stopped by and told me he thought there would be a pipe, but could not remember back that far in detail. Building plans specified a tub in this area.

He also told me that the 2"drain/1.5" vent pipe was enough venting for tub/toilet/2 sinks; does that sound correct?
    The house is in the city of North Salt Lake and uses the 2009 IPC.

w_2510.jpg
  6. dj2

dj2 Member

7. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

The 3" riser would not head towards the tub. The only way to locate would be ground penitrating radar but with the cost of having that done you could jackhammer and redo the concrete for much less!