How do I dry vent this toilet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Glenn Gordon, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Glenn Gordon

Glenn Gordon New Member

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice here on how to dry vent a toilet I want to re-position in the bathroom.

The following picture is an overview of the room. The waste line is running laterally through the kitchen soffit below the floor joists. For the purpose of this discussion, I am focusing on how and where to bring in the dry vent line in to the toilet waste line.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt329/freerangequark/plumbing/0.jpg

The end of the tape measure in the next two pictures show where I want to move the toilet to. I can get the 90 in there connected to the downturned street 45. The downturned street 45 connects to another street 45 which connects up to a wye in the main waste line.

http://s624.photobucket.com/user/freerangequark/media/plumbing/1.jpg.html

http://s624.photobucket.com/user/freerangequark/media/plumbing/2.jpg.html

Again, I'm only looking on how and where to bring the vent into the toilet waste line. It does not need to connect up to the vent you see in the pictures since that will all be changing.

Thank you for your help,
    Glenn
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

Given the way the main line is running, you do not have enough room to install the toilet where you want it, and a vent, without some major revision of the piping.
  3. Glenn Gordon

Glenn Gordon New Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid of.

Are either of the following options acceptable?

1. Between the downturned street 45 and the upturned 90 to the closet flange I could place a sanitary T which is rolled up at 45 degrees for the vent. Is there a shorter piece that I could do this with?

2. Replace the downturned street 45 with a wye, the bent run of the wye replaces the original street 45 and the straight run of the wye (facing up in this installation) becomes the vent?

Thanks,
    Glenn
  4. rosem637

rosem637 Member

Buy some fittings and dry fit it together and post a photo. Will be easier to visualize. A picture is worth a thousand words.