How do i connect washer drain to this?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by HJ_630, Apr 21, 2017.

1. HJ_630

HJ_630 New Member

I bought a house and see this in the laundry room, how should i connect my washer drain to this? Do I need to thread a PVC pipe to this first and let the pipe go up so i can put washer drain on the pipe? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Normally this is what you would have in the wall.
    A 2" standpipe with p-trap, vented through the roof, with a hot and cold supply and water hammer arrestors.
    That gray box on the left is the dryer venting.
    This is a second floor installation, so you see a vent from downstairs tying back in at 42" above the floor.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. HJ_630

HJ_630 New Member

The wall is already finished. The last person lived there took the washer and left this, i dont know how should i connect my washer drain to this...

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    From a plumbing standpoint, I can't either.
    That's a threaded male adapter. If that is a drain of some sort, and you want to try that, it's going to need a female fitting that threads onto that.
    I have never seen a drain like that for a washer. Maybe for a drain pan that sits under a washer.
    If it's my home, I'm pulling the drywall off and taking a look to see what's up.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

What Terry describes is what you should do.

That looks like a PVC pipe with an NPT (MIP) thread. How big is the internal diameter? That will probably measure just a little larger than the nominal size.

Does that pipe maybe go to the yard rather than the sewer system?

7. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Based on typical shoe molding size, that pipe is not even close to correct size for a washing machine drain (especially the new ones). Located that close to the floor makes me think it's for one of those plastic drain pans, as Terry mentioned above. Maybe the washer used to drain in the laundry tub, if there is one?