How do I choose shallow well pump size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I'm sure you don't see this very often--my well is working fine. I just need more...more pressure, more flow. A year ago I bought a cottage on a lake with a shallow well about 25 feet deep but I don't know the water level or recovery rate. My pump is a Goulds BF03S that quite likely was originally under the kitchen counter prior to the addition + basement on the cottage in 1972. It's that old. It's 1/3HP, has a 20/40 switch and a teensy little surge tank. At 25' suction it's rated about 3.5GPM @ 30psi.
My water needs are to supply 1 kitchen and 1 shower & sink. I don't water the lawn. I'd like to choose a new pump & mount it on a 10 gal. horizontal tank but I've been warned not to "go big" as it can suck the well dry. Is 1/2HP enough? My previous cottage I installed a Goulds 1/2HP J5S pump and really liked it--but that place was smaller. This time I'm looking at a J5SH for its better delivery at higher pressure (5GPM or better all the way to 50psi). Not a huge flow but I don't know how much I really need.

What's the smart play?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guy48065

Reaction score
Not sure what direction I'm heading except away from my 1/3HP compact pump ;-)
Any downside to going with a 3/4HP pump? I'm struggling with my natural "bigger is better" urge...

Are any of the China pumps worth considering to save some money? I see Bur-Cam at a lot of online stores but I'm leery of any China pump you can buy super cheap off eBay. Maybe some are quite good and that's why dealers carry them??

Reach4

Reaction score
Not sure what direction I'm heading except away from my 1/3HP compact pump ;-)
Any downside to going with a 3/4HP pump? I'm struggling with my natural "bigger is better" urge...
Your pump should run for at least a minute each time. A pressure tank has about a 25% draw down. So with a 20 gallon pressure tank, your would want the pump to deliver no more than 5 GPM at your pressure.

For whatever pump you consider, there are "pump curves". Try to understand those for the best pump selection.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Good points. I wasn't really "seeing" anything looking at the pump spec tables so I graphed them for the Goulds J-Series pumps. If it's true that for most residential needs 5GPM is more than enough flow it would seem from the graph that a J5SH would deliver that at any pressure the pump is capable of. Impressively flat curve. The 3/4HP pump might give me problems as I doubt my old well could recover 13GPM.

I'd like to spend less on a pump but since the cheaper ones rarely publish such complete curves I think I will play it safe and pay the extra $100 or so.

Am I thinking right?

Attachments

• Jseries.JPG
    Jseries.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 679

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if the J5S curve might have some advantage if you run 30-50 PSI, but that the J4SH would be better if you ran 40-60 PSI.

The J5S would be able to supply more water at 40 PSI, but would taper its flow as the pressure rose toward the 50 PSI cutoff point. It will be interesting to see the other comments, now that you have the proposed pump curves handy.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
How many Goulds J5's do you want? I've got 2 or 3 good used ones sitting in my shop. They will need a shallow well ejector, but come n get 'em. N/C

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a shallow well ejector or it won't make the pressure you want.

The shallow well ejector bolts right to the front and contains the jet and nozzle required for the pump to build 60 psi.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I thought an ejector was for wells deeper than 25 feet. Mine is a 1- pipe system.

A 1/2 or 3/4 HP should work just fine for you.

You can run it on 120V.

The Jet gives you more Water Thrust.

Have Fun.

I think we doubled Craig, Over. lol

Last edited:

Guy48065

Reaction score
Literature for the J- series pumps say the ejector is built - in. Are you saying I can bolt on a 2nd ejector and build more pressure than the pump & switch combination? Got a picture of this? I've always had, and seen, the suction pipe run straight into the head.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Literature for the J- series pumps say the ejector is built - in. Are you saying I can bolt on a 2nd ejector and build more pressure than the pump & switch combination? Got a picture of this? I've always had, and seen, the suction pipe run straight into the head.

Not sure , But I think he has a Motor and Pump, The Assy / Well adapter where the jet goes may Not be included.

Just a Guess on my part, But I will take one.

http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1423

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The J is a convertible pump, designed for either deep well (2pipe) with the ejector in the well or shallow well (single pipe) with the ejector bolted to the pump housing.

It isn't missing parts....the ejectors are sold separately depending on the application. Kinda like a door, with two different styles of knobs available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks