How do I change from air/water to bladder tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I am planning to move and replace my pressure tank. Existing is an old galvanized air over water tank. New one is a Well Mate WM-23.

I don't know much about well systems, but I have to think that there is something in the supply from the well pump that is also generating air to fill the pressure tank.

If so, what is it and how do I remove it when I plumb the new tank in?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

If there is something it is usually a "snifter valve" on the tank itself, unless the sysem is designed to drain the pipe to the well and fill it with air between usages. If so, then you would have to locate the vacuum vent that is allowing air into the pipe.

R

Rancher

Typically with a non-bladder tank you have a lenght of pipe in the well casing with a tee fitted into it, in the tee there is a bleeder valve (just a rubber plug with a flapper on it) it closes when the pump puts pressure to it, and opens when the pump stops. The snifter valve (schrader valve) is above ground and looks like a tire valve, just has a weaker spring, it is also the vacuum breaker, it allows air to be sucked into that lenght of pipe down to the bleeder valve, when the pump starts again it sends the air in the pipe into the tank. In my opinion you should have just gone with a 120 gallon galvanized tank, it's about the same price as the bladder tank that you bought, and depending on the depth of you pump you may have to have a well guy bring his rig out to pull your pump and remove that bleeder valve.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks