How do I attach a new tub drain to existing sewer connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eatsleepfly

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just moved into my first house and on day one a wall of tile fell down in my bathtub. I'm trying to DIY remodel the whole bathroom and have completed demo. My next step is to install the bathtub and that's where I'm stuck. I've researched thoroughly but no one explains in detail how to attach the tub overflow and drain to the sewer pipe. The existing overflow and drain are still installed. I'll attach a picture of where I am at and I am looking for advice on what to do next. If it helps, I'm planning on buying a Kohler Villager.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Digging farther down you will come to the p-trap.
It's most likely plastic. Either ABS or PVC. Right now you have a slip joint adapter holding the 1.5" tubular tail piece of the waste and overflow.
With the new tub, you will have a new drain. The drain is installed first, and then the tub is dropped down over it. At the last you thread in the drain and attach the overflow fittings.
The Kohler Villager is a beast. Not a good choice for a first time installer. It is a nice tub though. For that one, I would find someone that has done them before.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/installing-a-kohler-villager-cast-iron-tub.33212/

tub_install_1.jpg

Last edited:

Eatsleepfly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll dig down tonight and see what I find. Any suggestions for tubs that aren't as heavy but still quality? I just don't want to remodel this bathroom again for a very, very long time. I had a plumber come quote me today to do the tub/shower install with myself providing the tub and shower/faucet combo and he said between $700 and $900. I think I can figure it out myself for that much money.

Eatsleepfly

Reaction score
Haha, I appreciate the reply HJ. Are there any tubs that you would recommend over the villager for a first time installer?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you go with a cast iron tub, and it's your first time installing a tub. Get a strong to friend to lend a hand. Also lay Masonite, plywood or something on the floor to help prevent from chipping the tub. The porcelain is easy to chip on the edges. Read Terry's post on getting the tub in place. Before putting the tub in place measure and plan how you will connect the drain, you will be rolling the tub in and out a few times before you make the final connection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will be rolling the tub in and out a few times before you make the final connection.

Gee, I hope not. Once that baby drops down, it's down for good. 300 pounds and no handholds.
I have to measure perfectly, and then I drop the tub in place. I can't imagine lifting it out again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks