How deep can sump pit be without damaging/disrupting foundation./dirt around area

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Homeowner

Reaction score
How deep can I put an adjoining sump basin to an existing sump basin (pit) without causing disruption to the surrounding area of soil under the basement floor?
My current sump basin (pit) is 18 inches wide and 24 inches deep. We get a lot of water during heavy rainstorms and I want to have a pit installed next to the
existing one so I can put 2 sump pumps in the new pit. I would like the new pit to be 20 inches wide so I have room for 2 sump pumps on the sump basin
. I am thinking a 30 inch deep sump pit would hold more water.

If the new adjoining (sister)sump basin is 30 inches deep and the existing one is only 24 inches deep will digging that deep cause soil erosion near the area
and cause damage to my existing soil base where the current sump pit is?

I would like the adjoining (new) pit to be at least 20 inch wide so I can fit 2 pumps in it. But I am having trouble finding a sump basin 20 inches wide by 24 inches deep.

Please let me know if going deeper with a sister pit will cause erosion and problems to the area under thet basement cement.

DIY Homeowner

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
One thing to look at is what the level of your drain tile system is. It is not accomplishing anything to pump water which is well below the level of the bottom of the drain tile.

Given the options, I would remove the existing sump pit and install one minimum 24" wide basin, which is much more ideal for running two pumps. (30" & 36" wide basins are also available.)

Increasing the diameter of the basin is the proper way to increase run time of the pump without wasting electricity by pumping too deep. The longer the pump runs between cycles, the longer the switch and motor will last.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The depth of the sump pit is determined by how deep it HAS to be in order for the drain connections into it to work. That means if it has to be 24" deep, that is okay, but if it has to be 60" deep, that is also okay. Either way there is NO structural damage to the building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks