How close can well pumps be to each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a new (second) well/pump next to existing well/pump. You tell me if this is reasonable.

My house is in central FL. The well is about 300 feet deep. It's about 30 feet from the house. The pump is very noisy now (its over 20 years old) but still works. I can hear the pump running from the end of the driveway (200 Ft). It wasn't this noisy when it was new. Also, some of my neighbors wells have dried up. I still have water, but it is a concern of mine.

The reason to add a new or second well/pump is to (1) ensure the new well is deep enough and (2) so I wouldn't have to worry about the old pump failing at the worse time. If I had two wells, I would use the new well and pump for the house, and keep the old well/pump just for sprinkler system (until it dies).

For this to work the old pump and new pump would be around 10 to 15 feet apart.

If this is not a good idea (or a big waste of money), then I would just buy a repalcement pump now (before it fails) and hope my well doesn't run dry.
Can an existing well be dug/drilled deeper or would a new well need to go in if the existing one runs dry?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a new (second) well/pump next to existing well/pump. You tell me if this is reasonable.

My house is in central FL. The well is about 300 feet deep. It's about 30 feet from the house. The pump is very noisy now (its over 20 years old) but still works. I can hear the pump running from the end of the driveway (200 Ft). It wasn't this noisy when it was new. Also, some of my neighbors wells have dried up. I still have water, but it is a concern of mine.

The reason to add a new or second well/pump is to (1) ensure the new well is deep enough and (2) so I wouldn't have to worry about the old pump failing at the worse time. If I had two wells, I would use the new well and pump for the house, and keep the old well/pump just for sprinkler system (until it dies).

For this to work the old pump and new pump would be around 10 to 15 feet apart.

If this is not a good idea (or a big waste of money), then I would just buy a repalcement pump now (before it fails) and hope my well doesn't run dry.
Can an existing well be dug/drilled deeper or would a new well need to go in if the existing one runs dry?

Pumps are not in short supply. I think I would wait till the old one craps out

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you put in a new well only 15' away from one that might go dry, the new well will probably cause the old one to go dry whenever you draw down the new well below the water depth of the old well.

You should be able to replace an above ground pump in a couple hours at most if the pump quits. Or go buy a good quality new pump as a spare now so you don't have to rely on a big box store brand in an emergency.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Good advice. thanks.
I'll post back later in a new thread and see if someone can help me figure out what to get (HP size, GPM, etc.). I don't what size is down there now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks