How can this washing machine discharge pipe be moved into the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

J128951

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodeling a property built in 1954, and wanted to move the washing machine discharge pipe into the wall. I had a plumber out who wanted to move the p-trap from the end of the run to the stand pipe. This differs from the research I have done. It appears what needs to happen, to move the pipe into the wall, is:
1. Ensure discharge pipe is 18-42" above the p-trap.
2. Place p-trap inside of the wall, above the floor, per current code. Is there anyway to place this in the crawlspace?
2. Add a vent pipe for the washing machine because the vent is currently ~12ft from this area. Is there anyway around putting a vent pipe through the roof (possibly a PVC Air Admittance Valve)?
3. Navigate around load bearing beam in crawlspace. What would this look like?
MainFloor.jpg

The original stand pipe, and new one, will need to drop into the crawlspace. Note, new stand pipe location is directly over a load bearing beam. What should be done to maneuver around the beam?
Crawlspace-1.jpg

The new run would mirror the existing run, just in PVC.
OriginalRun.jpg

Here is the trap at the end of the run (believe this is a running trap, which is no longer allowed).
EndOfOriginalRun.jpg

I will be getting additional quotes to do the work from plumbers, but want to be a bit better educated on what needs to be done. If this were your property, would you even bother moving it, or just leave it as is? Assuming you would move it, what steps would you take to move the discharge pipe into the wall?

Stuff

Reaction score
Slumlord remodel would leave as is. Anyone else should bring it up to code. A full remodel with walls open would take the vent through the roof or tie into other vent in attic. I hope the PVC trap in the background is for a shower/tub - otherwise something else needs fixed.

That is old galvanized pipe that is probably corroded and mostly blocked inside so will need to be replaced shortly anyway.

Reach4

Reaction score
Laundry standpipe in the US should have the p-trap above the floor. The vent can be through the roof, but can also be an AAV in most areas. AAV must be changeable, and can be behind a vented cover. The standpipe and p-trap should be run in 2 inch pipe normally.

J128951

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Stuff and Reach4, being better informed on the work that should be performed always helps. I'll do some more research and see if an AAV is acceptable in my area. The PVC trap in the background is for the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks