How can I vent a bathroom exhaust fan out of the window without it looking hideous?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by mizrachi, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mizrachi

mizrachi New Member

I can not break the outer wall. I must vent thru the window.

I'm considering either an in-window fan, like this one, but am unsure how to run power to the fan while still allowing the window to operate, or a traditional ceiling fan, running the duct work above the ceiling and out the window, but I can't imagine an attractive way to pull this off.

Again, I'd like full functionality of my window and have it look good.
  2. If you can remove a glass pane, you could build a wood insert and install a horizontal mount fan that direct vents out the window, but it will take considerable work to make it look good.
  3. mizrachi

mizrachi New Member

...or I could simply insert the thru-window fan linked above through a cut-away section of window pane but I'm still unsure how I can power the fan while being able to open and close the window.
  4. For year round application or just winter months. If you're in NYC why would you want to open your windows in cold weather, unless you're in a high rise with no control of the heat levels.
  5. mizrachi

mizrachi New Member

This is for a year round application. If the thru-window fan could be powered while still allowing use of the window, that would be best. I'm hesitant to eliminate the use of my window for a number of reasons, hence the difficulty figuring this out. If i decide to seal the window permenantly, I can install and power the fan fairly easily. This is my dilemma.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010