How can I avoid a leak from hidden flexible Handheld showerhead hose in a tub?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Christos Adam, May 22, 2014.

1. Christos Adam

Christos Adam New Member

I have just installed a tub which has a Handheld showerhead with a retractable (hidden) flexible hose. The way it is designed, there is a hole in the tub where the flexible hose retracts in (see photos). During normal operation no problems should occur but since I'm planning to rent this place out I'm freaking out with the idea that someone might leave the Handheld shower head on it's base without completely shutting off the water supply and then the water will leak in the area under the tub (where the hose retracts to). Is there any way to avoid this? I was thinking of putting a small bucket in that area (under the tub) but still that's not a solution, and the bucket will be filled up soon if the future renters don't shut this completely off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

You worry too much. Just put this in the rental agreement: "Tenant to place hand held showerhead in its place at all times, otherwise will be responsible for leak damages".
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

flexible Handheld showerhead hose in a tub - avoiding leaks caused by snared shut off

Should be some kind of containment on that hose. Like a laundry bag. To keep the hose from snagging any of those pipes or shut offs.

You could design a box with a run off that weeps out to the bathroom floor. That way if you had a leak it would come at you instead of under.

What did you board the tub surround with? Looks like Green EBoard and Hydro Ban. Did the outside corner where the vertical part of the tub meets the tub deck get mesh tape and thin-set prior to hydro ban? Looks like this step was skipped.
  4. johnfrwhipple

Slide Box - leak from hidden flexible Handheld showerhead hose in a tub

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

Something like this works really well (once rigged up so it contains the bag and does not rub nay fittings). Not a pricey item for the amount of piece of mind it offers.

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

Like the bag above but smaller. Most times I see them they cost like $10.00 - $18.00
  5. MikeQ

MikeQ New Member

You could put a leak detector siren under there.

I would think most tenants would learn very quickly.
  6. johnfrwhipple

There is a smart idea. I just saw those at Coe Lumber about eight months back. That would learn them..... LOL
  7. dhagin

dhagin builder:anti-builder

All those handhelds are like that. I like both the rental agreement idea AND the leak detection idea. With the leak detection, you can tie in a automatic shutoff valve, but be prepared to spend some coin. :)
  8. RedShoecounterbalance

RedShoecounterbalance Active Member

Dana and Jim back in the house .... The 1 .... 2 punch.... Representing texas and germany !
  9. johnfrwhipple

Dana's signature is so lame. I don't expect much from the moderators on the John Bridge forum. I think the only qualification you need is too be out of the business and promote the same products as Jim. The ditra salesman.
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

We get more than twenty thousand users a day here. I think I moderate just fine.
    I don't delte everything, because I want some discussion going on. I can't compare my site to others, like I don't compare myself to others either. I like to hear about the different ways we are getting our jobs. done.
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The insults do not help either the discussion or the tone, and the majority come from one person.
  12. johnfrwhipple

Terry I was not speaking of you. I don't expect much from the moderators at the John Bridge forum(Dana -DHagin is a moderator and works for the John Bridge Tile Forum). For the amount of links Jim and Dana send that way - Dana's signatures is a little disrespectful I think.

Kind of like in your face Terry. Or at least this is the way I see it.

You are very fair with the freedom of speech here. Unlike the highly censored John Bridge Forum.
  13. RedShoecounterbalance

If dana or dhagin is a moderator and represents the John Bridge site, his tagline is even more unprofessional than i thought. What a losing statement to make about your competition.. Or "peer"site.
  14. Terry

Okay,
    Because D Hagin thinks I need to moderate better, I deleted his signature. It was offensive and uncalled for.
    Terry Love
  15. johnfrwhipple

Terry - I think you should give me $30.00 for a nice bottle of Rum.

Any chance this ploy will work?
  16. Terry

What ????????????

What's the rum for?
  17. johnfrwhipple

LOL....

For Rum in Coke's Silly.....

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that gets my jokes. If I explain it - it's not funny....
  18. johnfrwhipple

D Hagin thinks you need to moderate better - you did.

I think you need to give me thirty bucks for a nice bottle of Rum - Sooooo

Still not funny?
  19. RedShoecounterbalance

Affirmative cap'n T !

Just for the record. I have learned much and lurk on the JB site too. Choosing not to participate mostly due to corporate disdain and ego's ( plural)

Over here on Terry's site its a little more outside the box, punk rock, and other than Orange Jim, relatively welcoming to the "in the field real world approach"

And other than A few, its pretty ego less over here at Terry's place.
  20. Vegas_sparky

Vegas_sparky Eat kitty

Like Bad Religion punk rock, or GBH punk rock?

Terry, do you ever remember a little place called the Offramp? I used to hang there, and go home to watch the planes leave from the Kenmore air harbor. LOL