How big of a problem might it be when a sticker is left in an ABS pipe fitting?!?!?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Brian Goldstein, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein New Member

My friend was a little lazy when putting together some ABS pipe fittings. He didn't take the item id sticker off a reducer before gluing it in place. I pointed out the potential problem that it could cause a weak weld at that point, and the weld probably isn't even complete at that place. He's not worried, but i always worry about the details. Does anyone have an idea of how big of an issue might this be? Could it prevent the piping system from passing code? Is that sticker going to break down over time and cause a leak? This particular fitting shown in the picture is a vent section, so it wouldn't cause a water leak, but possibly a very slow sewer gas leak? There was another connection of two inch pipe to three inch pipe that was a drain section... and now i'm having trouble sleeping. Should i cut this out and replace it??? Should I dig up the drain underground and check whether the sticker was left on that reducer, and replace it if it was?

Should I be worrying?

[​IMG]
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Perhaps a very slight chance of miniscule leakage in the impossible event that that vent pipe ever got filled with "water".
    If your obsession won't let go, you could scrape off the visible part of the label, use cotton swabs soaked in mineral spirits
    to clean off the label glue, and then swab the area liberally with ABS cement.

As for the underground pipe: what's the harm if a few extra drops of moisture get in the dirt?

If this plumbing work is going to be looked at by an inspector, well, I just don't know. He/she might just look at it
    and wince, but maybe not. Some of those guys/gals are pretty mean.
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Yes it can leak and any leak be it sewer gas or water isn't good. No matter were it is.

John
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If this is the only thing you have to worry about, then you are a very lucky person. It will NOT leak, because there was enough "exposed" material at the bottom of the joint to make an adequate seal. Even if there were not, it is an "open" pipe so there is absolutely NOTHING to create the pressure which would cause a leak. Now, start worrying about Brazil depleting the rain forests or something important.