How best to bring in extra income?

Users who are viewing this thread

lizard

Reaction score
I am wondering if it's best to ask around to get work with a master plumber during the weekends or to ask if a master plumber would be willing to act as a consultant and inspector in areas where one is allowed to domwork un-licensed as long as work is inspected by a licensed pro.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you saying you are unlicensed and want to do work as a plumber for hire and have it be sanctioned by a master plumber?

lizard

Reaction score
Redwood

I would work either as an apprentice to a master plumber part time for the extra income (weekends) or would like a master plumber to act as a consultant for me in that type of jurisdiction.

I would go out and get the job to be done and would take his input on how to do the job, then as per the rules of that type of jurisdiction he would inspect the work. He would take his percentage (consulting+inspection fee).

I have heard that there are places where un-licensed can do the work as long as pro inspects at job completion.

I have been contacting local masters as I prefer to work with them on weekends on an as needed basis.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good luck finding a master plumber who is willing to put his imprimateur on your work. Does he need the hassel? Who would pay you enough that you could afford to pay what he would want?

What is your job during the week? If you are working for a plumbing contractor, he may take a dim view of anything which would be considered "side jobs".

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I do lots of work for friends. But I never charge. Not even for parts.

I can't see how anyone could be unlicensed and charge because of the insurance and legal issues.

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You would first have to register with the state apprentice board and then you are NEVER allowed to perform plumbing work unless you are under the direct supervision of a master which means the master needs to be on the job with you at all times.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, it is grounds for losing your license if you "rent it" to someone else. The only way to do it is if YOU work for the person/company and they register you as the "qualifying party", and YOU assume responsibility for any, and all, problems which should occur. Weekends are "expensive" time for customers so I would not hire someone just so he could increase his income. And I would NEVER certify the work of anyone other than an employee, (if for no other reason that he is a competitor possibly infringing on my customers and/or cutting the prices of legitimate contractors), because that would open me up to insurance liability if he were to burn a house down, or have any other claims.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
For extra income try telemarketing.

Half the people I started with were gone in four months and after six months I earned the average of all the others. We sold magazine renewals.

Then I got a job reviewing the design of a spacecraft designed to study "sunquakes." It might still be up/out there, at the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

The best guy at this sales job made $12/hr but with inflation this would be higher nowadays.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
It didn't seem real.
One minute I'm in Rockville, MD and the next I'm looking at the mountains in Palo Alto. Stanford was doing one of the experiments flying on that spacecraft.
I also got several trips to England out of that job, going to Matra Marconi.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I found out too late that I was not a company man, which is one reason why I landed in the unemployment line. Shoulda' done consulting but then the job would have been to find customers.

But nowadays "everybody" is overqualified and out of work. What a mess.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm still underqualified.

(at least in England, which is why I came to America)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks