how about this washing machine drain line?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lmei007, May 25, 2011.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I have this washing machine drain line. Please have a look to see anything wrong there? I just learnt that Tee should not be there for the vent. It should be replaced with a wye or combo. But I think it will work well. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It will work.
    The reason we started putting in the wye on it's back for the vent was in case someone later on wet vented a fixture with it.
    If it's just for venting that fixture, you're fine.
    If you do it again, use the combo and the inspector will be happy.
  3. lmei007

lmei007 Member

how about that end connecting with the main drain? is that coupling allowed or I have to use pvc with cement.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

is that a vent going up? Does it have anything draining down it?
  5. lmei007

lmei007 Member

just vent. no water.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Are those both street bends connected by the shielded coupling or is there a hub in there?
  7. lmei007

lmei007 Member

no hub in there.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That coupling should be fine assuming it is the correct number for that material, but I wonder WHY he had to use it in the first place. Any competent plumber would have been able to figure out how to make the installation without it.