Houston, we have a problem. Well sunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

brokenparts

Certified backyard mechnaic
Reaction score
FAC89566-F6BC-483B-B695-6F3035AD7724_zpsyafyrlem.jpg

Going to try to pump water today... Cross your fingers for me.

Reach4

Reaction score
Record what kind of pitless you are getting.

Get info on water depth if it is handy. There will be a mark on the old pipes at the water line. Write down other info.

Are you getting a submersible pump? Take a photo of the labels if you can.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
I am no driller but have assisted my friend do some drilling. He uses a mud rotary rig. I noticed that when drilling a 4" well the bore hole is more like 8". The OPs well looked like 8" or 10". So I would suspect the bore hole for that if a mud rig was used could be as big as 14" or 18"? That is a lot of free area for the soil to fall into if it was very soft or after a major rain storm. The soil could have just fallen down around the casing taking the concrete pad with it.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Got water flowing this weekend. Seems to be flowing at about 12gph which is a little bit more than it was before... go figure. Water was very murky at first but has cleaned up quite a bit after letting it flow for an hour or two. I'm thinking I've dodged a bullet on this one. I'll update more later.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Back from the dead... I got everything resolved and things have been going soomthly until this weekend.

Recently my breaker for my well pump has been tripping. The previous owner had wired a sub panel for the pump with a 20amp breaker that goes to a 30 amp breaker in the main box. The 20amp breaker does not trip but the 30amp in the main panel does trip when the well pump (jet) shuts off. Seems like it does not trip when the motor starts or runs... just when it shuts off.

Any ideas? My first plan was to replace the 30amp breaker because that is the easiest to do and work backwards from there.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the subpanel feeding anything other than the pump?

Is the 30 amp breaker possibly a GFCI or AFCI breaker? I don't know if 2 pole 30 amp AFCI breakers exist.

In any case, having the breaker blow when the pump cuts off does seem odd. Your plan seems good.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Is the subpanel feeding anything other than the pump?

Is the 30 amp breaker possibly a GFCI or AFCI breaker? I don't know if 30 amp AFCI breakers exist.

In any case, having the breaker blow when the pump cuts off does seem odd. Your plan seems good.

It is very strange...

The breaker is not GFCI or AFCI, the subpanel is feeding other things BUT I shut them off to isolate the pump/20amp sub panel breaker itself.

brokenparts

Reaction score
The only other thing note worthy to report is recent HEAVY rain after a long dry summer.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 3/4 HP pump usually gets a 20 amp breaker, although the 15 amp breaker on my 3/4 has never tripped. How many HP is your pump?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You might as well get a clamp-around ammeter on order. That can be useful for this and future use. You don't need an expensive one. Some are under $30.

brokenparts

Reaction score
You might as well get a clamp-around ammeter on order. That can be useful for this and future use. You don't need an expensive one. Some are under $30.

Looks like I’m going to have to. Just threw in a new breaker same weird result.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks