Houses built with rigid conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Yikes.

So I have begun that rewire/up-grade in the 1928 lathe and plaster house. Wired with RIGID conduit and cloth and rubber wire.

Not EMT. Rigid. I cannot guess how hard that work was. They must have bent the conduit and threaded the ends afterward.

The place is lousy with sconces that had switches. The customer wants to lose most of them and have switches by the door (as is the CUSTOM, if not required by code!)

Found the conduit from the panel to the second floor. Will be pulling two 14 ga circuits with grounded (neutral? No) whites plus a 12 ga circuit for the two second floor bathroom outlets.

Of course, the customer wants to be able to hang fans on the two bedroom ceiling boxes. Hoo boy. I get to pull out the old boxes from the lathe and plaster ceilings and fit a new box under the old rigid conduit. What fun. And another in the Mater Bath, but that is new/old work with NM.

I am soooo ready for the heat to break. But the attic is pretty roomy, the old insulation is gone and itchy stuff has been installed. And the basement/crawl space is fairly roomy. Cannot complain. I think the customer would have accepted another thousand in the bid, but I'll make it up with the change orders.

My oscillating saw is doing wonders with the lathe and plaster.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
So I have begun that rewire/up-grade in the 1928 lathe and plaster house. Wired with RIGID conduit and cloth and rubber wire.

Not EMT. Rigid. I cannot guess how hard that work was. They must have bent the conduit and threaded the ends afterward.
If you are good enough (I'm not and never will be) you don't need to do that.
My oscillating saw is doing wonders with the lathe and plaster.
So you took my advice and didn't even send out a shout. That's so cold I feel like I'm walking in a winter wonder land right now.

Reaction score
If you are good enough (I'm not and never will be) you don't need to do that.
So you took my advice and didn't even send out a shout. That's so cold I feel like I'm walking in a winter wonder land right now.

Hey, I only just started.

What SUCKS? Is that the two bedroom ceiling fixtures have four rigid conduits entering them each, from above. The conduit is bent 90 degrees.

I have never seen a steel fan rated box that has four 1/2" holes on top and any legit way to support the box to the ceiling rafters.

Meaning I need to cut some or several of the rigid conduits and transition to flex.

And that is that many more hours in the attic.

Well. Start early and if I'm not done by ten or eleven, come down and do some other damned thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks