House stack - move and enclose

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by bikewimp, Oct 23, 2008.

1. bikewimp

bikewimp Engineer / Remodeler

The horizontal section of my house drain goes in front of a wall where I want to put a window. If I rerun it like drawn in green, I would need to add one 90 elbow to what exists. Essentially, I am moving the vertical stack from the left side to the right (along with the water filter system), and the horizontal from top to bottom. I would have to rotate the cleanout where it ties to the septic tank pipe from accepting a vertical connection to a horizontal.

Any issues with doing this? Obviously I would have to maintain the existing slope on the horizontal.

Once that is done, I can enclose the plumbing in a closet and window seat (with removable side panel for access to the cleanout), add the window header and finish off the room; the plumbing will go in a storage closet.

Attached Files:

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You could do that. Your standpipe as it sits now and as it is proposed is not properly vented.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  3. bikewimp

bikewimp Engineer / Remodeler

Covered it

Thanks. Always good to get a second opinion before I get into it (or in this case, the plumber).

I believe you are talking the unit attached to the vertical stack? That is the drain for the water softener recharge and the water filter (reverse osmosis: arsenic in water). Not much volume and there is a trap on it as you can see (they did that right at least). It also gets plenty of water through it so no risk of it drying out. I do need to rework some other drain lines not shown nearby and will ask about that. Once the 3" PVC vertical is moved, that trap and drain will be within 4 ft horizontal of the house stack vent on the other side of the righthand wall. Thanks for the heads up.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

You still need a vent...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drains

1. That horizontal line appears to go up and down a lot.
    2. Is that water filtration unit connected DIRECTLY to the trap, as it appears to be? If so it is a direct path to contaminate the water. Even a small trap needs a vent, especially there where the entire flow is going past it and will create a suction to drain the trap.
    3. That tee is the wrong connection for tranistioning from vertical to horizontal.
    4. If the rest of the system is as poor as what is shown in that picture, revising the drain route is the least of your problems.