House Sewer Line Replacement Mat'l

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RSTrider, Jan 8, 2008.

1. RSTrider

RSTrider New Member

I will be replacing approx. 50 ft of 4" clay sewer pipe from my house to the property line. I will also be adding two cleanouts, one near the house and the other at the property line. I would like some advise on the best type of pipe to replace it with. So far, my research has led me to these 4 options, though I'm open to others.

1. ABS DWV Pipe, Sch. 40
    2. PVC DWV Pipe, Sch. 40
    3. PVC Sewer Pipe, SDR-35 (either solvent weld or gasketed)
    4. PVC Sewer Pipe, SDR-26 (either solvent weld or gasketed)

The ABS pipe and fittings are the most readily available in my area. PVC DWV does not seem as common around here, but I'm sure it can be found and I've seen a lot of recommendations for it on the internet. SDR-35 is available around here, but I'm turned off by the thin wall. SDR-26 looks OK, but I'll bet it will be very difficult to find. So, I'm leaning toward sch 40 DWV pipe, either ABS or PVC. Any of these are O.K. with the city inspector.

I'm more concerned with the quality of the product (longevity, root resistance, etc.) than the price. I would rather spend more now and have it last as long as the clay pipe (60+ yrs) than go the cheap route and have to repair it in the near future. So, what do you recommend and why?

Thanks.
    Kevin
  2. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

PVC.
    ABS isn't as resilient...you'll want to check local codes/town hall on required size & material.
    Some area's require SDR pipe, or cast iron...your local code trumps all.
  3. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

ASTM3034 is the green sewer pipe that we use.Gasketed or glue.No sch 40 past 3ft foundation wall.
  4. GrumpyPlumber

Same here, 6" @ 10' from the house...plumbers license only goes to that 10', then it's a specialized drain layers license.
    Don't ask why, rediculous if you ask me.
  5. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Yep 6"the rest of the way,We can install the pipe to before the right of way.
    Then requires state sewer tappers liencesefor the rest.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  6. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

How about CI No Hub?
  7. GrumpyPlumber

Susceptible to roots over time...no?
  8. GrumpyPlumber

Here, we have to jump hoops to install no-hub underground too..don't think it's even allowed externally.
    We use resilient gaskets or lead/oakum when it's underground.
  9. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

in CA. c.i. is allowed but very $$$$ for this ues.the U.P.C. requires sch 40
    not that cheep plastic grades required or allowed in other areas

your best bet is sch. 40 ABS pipe is what you are going to find in your area
    and in 25+ yrs. plumbing and drain cleaning in CA. i never seen roots problems:D

MACPLUMB MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN:D

CA. LIC, C-36 PLUMBER
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008