House paint and spray guns

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmayer

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to paint my woodshop, which requires probably 1000 square feet of surface or so.

My questions are:

1. Which paint is best for this? Is it worth buying the $50/can paint instead of the $30/can stuff? My main requirement is durability. In other words, I hate painting, and don't want to do it again any time soon.

2. If I decide to spray, can I get by with a $100 Wagner sprayer, or do I need to rent a professional-class unit?

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Pmayer

Reaction score
Went with Duration

I was surprised that no one commented on this, because it seems that so man people have opinions on paint. The majority seemed to point to Sherwin Williams Duration, and as it turns out, that was what the previous owners used. At $40 per gallon it is not cheap, but seems like great stuff. Regarding the sprayer, I ended up hiring a painter to do the job, and he used a brush and said that you can achieve much better results that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, people will spray, then brush - it's a little faster getting the paint on the wall that way. A brush can get more intimate contact.

Mort

Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to that tried a Wagner Power Painter thought the contraption was more trouble than it was worth. The painter I had do my house exterior eight or so years ago used a professional spray unit. The painter I hired about 18months ago used brushes and rollers. The cost to do the job was almost double by hand but the end result was remarkably superior.

Mort

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to that tried a Wagner Power Painter thought the contraption was more trouble than it was worth. The painter I had do my house exterior eight or so years ago used a professional spray unit. The painter I hired about 18months ago used brushes and rollers. The cost to do the job was almost double by hand but the end result was remarkably superior.

Mort

I think it depends on the job. I painted my 1400 sf ranch plus two car garage with faded aluminum siding with a $100 wagner and it worked great. Then I sold it for about $50.

Bearipaint

Reaction score
What was the woodshop made out of?

As a sidenote, just because the paint is more expensive doesn't mean it is any better...

Go Local!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Paint quality varies wildly. Go with Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

You can rent a pro-quality airless spray rig for the day, for less than buying the wagner POS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks