hot water vibrates

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cygnus, Mar 4, 2007.

1. cygnus

cygnus New Member

When I turn on the hot water in my upstairs shower, the pipes start to vibrate momentarily until the valve is wide open.
    The cold water tap doesn't do that, nor does the sink's hot water valve in the same bathroom.
    The hot water anywhere else in the house doesn't do it either.... just the shower.

I found out about "hammering" when starting with google, but mine is the opposite problem - it's not when turning the water off.

I don't know if it's a pressure problem, but I did notice that about the same time this started, the faucet in the kitchen downstairs leaks water when the shower is turned on.

I do have a gas water heater, and drained it after reading an article about sediment causing air bubbles in the lines, but that didn't help.

What else can I try?
    I've replaced the guts inside the shower taps when I redid the wall tiles a few months ago because they were shot - the house is 20 years old.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A loose washer in a valve can cause that type of vibration.
  3. cygnus

cygnus New Member

jadnashua, I forgot to say thanks.

I think you were right. There was barely any washer left - crushed to oblivion. I can't believe it deteriorated that fast.