Hot water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexdc99

Reaction score
I noticed a brownish stain coming from the hot water side of system and tracked it down to the hot water tank. I don't get anything from the cold side. I took the anode rod out and found that it mostly gone, so I am thinking the inside of the tank is starting to rust from water getting at it now that the rod is gone. If I put a new rod back in will the the attack on the tank stop and the rusting stop or slow? Should I be buying a new tank instead. I am on a well and my water is slightly acidic after chorine and Tannin treatment, around 6.5 - 7 on the PH scale.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think anode rods are very expensive. It will slow things down, but once the glass is compromised and you see rust, you are on borrowed time (in my unprofessional experience). It could go any time, or last another year. Budget for a new one...anybody else add some experience to this scenario?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I've watched how they glass-line a water heater and it's all production and speed. You have to figure that their job security is to use as little as possible, just enough to get beyond the warranty. The rust may clear over repeated attempts of draining/refilling the tank. Not always a guarantee though.

Most times they stick a rod down the hot and cold ports up top of the water heater and pull the trigger; no way are they thorough when they do it. Especially when the flue chase (gas water heaters) obstructs the way the wand distributes the glass lining.

Any preventative measure (anode rod) is a wise investment, no matter how old the tank. If you have height restrictions they make anode rods that are linked like sausages to bend/turn and go into the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks