Hot Water Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

BonnieW

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in Buffalo NY and have a Gas Hot Water tank. The tank is about 9 years old and for the last several years, it makes a rumbling noise from time to time. I can't pinpoint a particular time it does this such as right after a shower, it just does it randomly. The rumbling seems to be happening more frequently throughout the day, however the lenth of the rumble is about the same when it happens.

The tank seems to be working fine as far as temp and that I don't run out of hot water. But I am concerned as to what is causing this noise. Can anyone tell my why it is happening and what to do about it?

Thanks,
Bonnie W

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The "rumbling" is possibly being caused by internal tank flakes and debris piling up in the bottom, and churning when the water is heated and cold water is coming into the bottom of the tank from the dip tube.
Attach a water hose to the drain spigot at the bottom of the tank and flush the tank until it runs clear water out.
Good luck!
Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

Most of the noise is generated by "nodules" which build up on the center flue of the heater. water is these nodes gets superheated by the flue gases and turns to superheated steam which causes it to "flash" out of the nodule into the water where it immediately "explodes" as the steam condenses. You are hearing the "mini explosions" and they also occur when you open the faucet and the pressure in the tank drops momentarily so the "condensation" takes place faster due to the reduced pressure. There is no cure for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks