Hot Water Tank Flexible Copper Connector Min. Bend Radius

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayne Carpenter

Reaction score
After a man who is not a professional plumber installed a hot water flexible copper connector in an upstairs apartment to replace a bad connector (water ran down into my apartment), while being allowed to view the upstairs hot water tank connector fix, I became concerned about the sharp or small radius that the new connector was bent at. (I've had too much trouble with poor apartment maintenance before.)

I attached some photos. As you can see, the issue is with the connector on the right. Is there a standard minimum radius that the copper connectors should be bent to or not or should a person try to find out from the manufacturer what it is? I am guessing that the radius at the sharpest area is maybe 1 1/4 inches or possibly less.

It looks like the tank was installed in 8-4-2001.

Thanks.
Water Heater in Apt. 202 6-9-16-2.jpg
Water Heater in Apt. 202 6-9-16-3.jpg

Wayne Carpenter

Reaction score
Ugly, but should be okay.
That's why I use 24" flex and not 18's. I get better bends with the longer length.

According to one copper connector manufacturer, the minimum radius for their's is 2.5 inches and another says their minimum radius is 8 inches. So this is inviting trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks