Hot Water Supply Sizing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by P-tank, Mar 20, 2005.

1. P-tank

P-tank New Member

i'm looking to supply a 20 gal hw tank (laars endurance boiler) with 3/4" line for 2 floor 2 full bath unit. then i guess i'll run 3/4" line out too. but recently was wondering if i shouldn't go with 1/2" instead, thinking tap and shower might warm up quicker.

current connects to tank ar 1/2" but step up to 3/4" to enter the actual unit. i'm worried about adequate flow, etc. the hw part of this boiler has not been in use as of yet.

any thoughts and advice much appreciated
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I think you have a valid concern about the time it takes to purge cold water from 3/4" lines, especially to the furthest fixture. I think 1/2" would be quite adaquate.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

4. P-tank

P-tank New Member

ok, thanks, i see this is a debated topic. i think i'll probably go with 3/4".