Hot water stem will not come out

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mark6505, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mark6505

mark6505 New Member

Hi my bathtub faucet has been leaking so I went to replace the stem for the hot water valve and the stem will not come out. It seems "stuck" in a way. I have tried using a shower valve socket set but when ever it locks in place, I go to turn it and it slips off. I hope you guys can help me!!:D
  2. SHR

SHR Member

Picture please.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; my bathtub faucet has been leaking

That statement covers about a thousand different makes and models, and every one is different.
  4. mark6505

mark6505 New Member

image.jpg
    It is an old model
  5. Smooky

Smooky Member

I would remove the packing nut first. Then I would use a deep socket and hold it with vise grips to unscrew the stem.
  6. SHR

SHR Member

With the big hole you could probably use a basin wrench to get a lot of torque on it. You may have to remove some of the wood stud next to the stem in order to fully seat any wrench.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014