hot water shut off valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by wonton, Nov 5, 2006.

1. wonton

wonton New Member

I'm trying to replace kitchen faucet, cannot get the hotwater oval shutoff valve to close completely -water still comes thru the faucet. it seems to be as tight as it can get without forcing it. There is no other shutoff prior to the kitchen sink. I read where I should shut off the main line to the house when this happens, but how will that keep the hotwater faucet from draining the hotwater heater? or is that ok?
  2. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

When you shut off the main to the house, there is no pressure to push water through the system, so the heater should not drain. Just to be sure, when turning off the water to the house, turn the heater off if electric (circuit breaker), or turn down the thermostat on it if Gas to Vacation mode while working on the system.
  3. wonton

wonton New Member

thank you so much for explaining that to me I really appreciate it
  4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

I've never had to mess with the water heater after turning off the main water supply. Best to open an outdoor spigot to help drain the remaining water faster. They are usually the lowest faucet on the line.

You might as well fix that leaky shut-off valve while you're at it. Unscrew the packing nut (the closest nut to you) and pull out the guts. You will need a second wrench to hold the valve in place while you unscrew the packing nut. The rubber washer at the bottom end of the stem is most likely bad and needs replacing.
  5. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

Open up some other fixtures, too. You could just be getting residual water that was left in the pipes (especially if you have overhead/2nd floor plumbing) that is making it's way thru the fixture.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

Verdeboy. The hot water valve is not supposed to be one with a washer in it, so the advice is irrelevent. And if it does have a washer, it should be changed to one that does not.
  7. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

Can you expand on this? (Sorry for the hijack)
  8. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

What's with the personal attack?

I've never seen shutoff valves labeled "hot" and "cold". Maybe you're referring to a new style shutoff valve that is washerless. I'm sure we all run into old style plumbing all the time, and a lot of it can be maintained rather than replaced.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

You gave misinformation that would not apply to 99% of water heater installations. ALL codes specify that the valve on the hot water tank is to be a full flow, meaning ball or gate, valve, not a stop or globe type valve. Therefore, it does not have a washer, and when it does not turn off completely it is usually due to corrosion which is not repairable and the valve has to be replaced if the leakage is undesirable when it is shut off. In addition, his problem might be caused by a bypassing single handle valve which would have no relationship to the heater valve at all.
  10. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

wonton, it is unclear to me where this valve your talking about is. Is it in your sink cabinet, on the water heater or somewhere between? What does oval mean?
  11. Cass

Cass Plumber

I think it is under his sink and he is talking about the oval handle.
  12. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

That's the stop valve I was assuming he was talking about as well.