hot water recirculating pump

Users who are viewing this thread

lakeyjim

Reaction score
Years agop I had a recirc pump but the cold water would be warm or even hot so it came out to sit on the shelf for several years. It is a Laing pump with a timer and temperature sensor. In the winter, I wait forever for hot in the bathroom. Although it is not winter now, I happen to be installing a new hot water tank so decided now would be a good time to reinstall it with a separate return line going back to the cold water supply of the tank.

As intended, the pump is to connect to1/2" hot and cold lines under a sink, then the faucet supply connects to two separate 3/8" compression fittings on the pump. (see link below for diagram)

I sweated a tee into the hot line furthest from the tank, then connected a flexible line to the hot side of the pump. On the cold side of the pump, I connected tubing and ran it back to the tank where I teed into the cold supply for the tank. I put a spring, one-way valve between the tubing and cold tank supply.

It doesn't seem to be working. I can feel the pump running but it doesn't seem to be moving water back to the tank, nor does the hot pipe begin to feel warm after it's been running for a while.

I don't have the original installation but found one online from Laing. I'm wondering if the way I have it connected is a problem.

On this link is a picture of how it is supposed to be installed: However, I am just connecting hold and cold. There are caps on the outputs which are supposed to supply the faucet hot/cold.

http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_files/Laing_E1_IOM.pdf

I understand the energy loss is also a problem but with the timer, I only plan to utilize the recirculation for a half hour in the morning before I get up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pump is quite small and may not provide enough pressure to open a spring-loaded valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks