hot water recirc loop

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by shineer, Sep 29, 2005.

1. shineer

shineer New Member

installed a gravity hot water recirc loop and now it seems my hot water supply runs out much faster than it used to. I have the pipe insulated, it is 3/4 inch all the way back to heater. do I need to install a check valve, or what? The hot water comes almost instant but runs out too quick. can anyone help? Thank you.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Without a check valve at the heater, the cold water in the bottom of the tank will backflow and give you cold or cool water at the faucet.
  3. shineer

shineer New Member

installed check valve at heater, everything ok now, thanks.