Hot water problems during Remodel of Kitchen/Bath

Users who are viewing this thread

jbeck

Reaction score
Intalled brand new 50 Gal Water Heater two months prior to Kitchen/Bath remodel and everything was fine, with plenty of Hot water. Now, water will only get a little better than lukewarm in 2nd bathroom with both thermostats cranked almost all the way up, with exception of my description below.

Project required very little plumbing modifications such as addition of sink next to exsiting one in Master Bath and new shower valve. Faucets in MBath and Kitchen are currently capped. After explaining the problem to contractor, he promply had the plumber replace both heating elements and thermostats with no joy.

One very odd occurance was at my utility sink in the garage. If I turn on only the cold water side and hold my hand under it, it will initially be very cold and then will warm slightly, once this happens, If I immediately turn off the cold and turn on the hot water side, I will get HOT SCALDING water for approximatly 10 seconds before it gets lukewarm again.

It is my opinion, my primary contractor and Plumber are very good at what they do, but this even has them stumped. At this point, we can only figure that either the water tank is bad has something to due with the new shower valve or as my plumber suggests that the system will come back to normal once everything is hooked back up. Any Ideas?

Thank You
John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a recirculating system, and I suspect a problem with that. Without seeing it, I am at a loss for any more specific suggestions. Let's see what others may have to say.

jbeck

Reaction score
I actually did install a autocirc under my sink farthest from my heater, but
that was after the problem came about.

Thanks

tlp2600

Reaction score
You have described nearly the exact same symptoms I experienced recently, and both the cause and solution were quite simple. I installed a new shower valve body (a Delta Multichoice) but left the temporary "test cap" in place without installing the cartridge and screwed-in adapter that contained the springs and rubber seals. The result was that hot and cold water mixed in the shower valve body and then that lukewarm water was drawn to the other faucets in the house every time they were opened. Hot water appeared for a few seconds until the lukewarm water made it to that particular faucet. Installing the cartridge and seals solved the problem. In your case, since you turned up your hot water thermostat all the way, perhaps you got extremely hot water in the garage sink (closer to the water heater?) until the mixed hot/cold water had a chance to make its way from one of your capped valves through the pipes to that point.
I am not a plumber and would not have posted unless your problem was so recognizable...you may have already solved it since it's been a couple weeks, but waddya think?
Regards,
Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks