Hot Water Pressure Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

tfisher88

Reaction score
Hello.

I live in a new house in the country and am on a well. The water pressure at the tank is set between 50 and 70psi. Cold water pressure is great throughout the house.

My problem is with the hot water. There seems to be a lack of pressure. I thought it was the mixing valve but I removed it and it is still the same although I am finally getting hot/hot water to the taps.

If I run a tap and turn on another one on full hot water the water pressure drops A LOT.. THe cold water when turned on is great.

I checked the lines going into and out of the hot water tank. They are 3/4 inch. The plumber ran 3/4 in throughout the house and then 1/2 to the taps.

When we moved in the mater bathroom was not completed since I was going to finish it myself. There was no hot water in all the taps and it was determined that the shower.tub tap had to be installed. The tap is a Delta 17T series set. we have another one on the other full bathroom in the house as well. once it was installed the hot water was flowing well.

Now that we are moved in and using everything we now noticed the pressure problem.

I checked the tub/shower tap in the master bath and found that it is installed backwards. Hot is cold and cold is hot. I suppose I will have to remove the cartridge and reset it.

My question is. Has anyone had similar hot water pressure problems or problems using the Delta 17T series taps. I am thinking the loss of pressure could be due to the 17T series taps.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Tim from Ontario, Canada

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It sound like a volume problem. There may be anti-percolation valves in the HWT that are failing and need to be removed or replaced.

tfisher88

Reaction score
IMG_0958.jpgI have a propane/gas fired hot water tank. Superflue Model 6G50PUH-ES-06. Would I be able to check for this or should I call the plumber who installed it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since I don't know if you are handy or handsome (Red Green joke), I really cannot say for sure. When you run and stop the hot water, is there a clunking sound at the HWT? When they stick, they make less of a noise.

I have a rental tank on which mine have gotten stuck a few times and put in a service request but the wife canceled it at the time when they sorted themselves out. I could remove them but being that it's a rental, I'll wait until it sticks again and reschedule the service call.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?42442-Low-flow-situation-with-GSW-John-Wood&highlight=

tfisher88

Reaction score
Valve

Thanks for the link. Did the hot water pressure come back after that fix? I spoke with a plumber that I know and he did not hear of such a thing but he does not typically deal with hot water heaters.

I looked at the make and model. There appears to be and inlet and outlet. There are two part numbers. One is the thing that looks pink inside and the other is a straight pipe. I wonder if you can put a staight pipe on them both.

I never had this probelm before in any of my other hot water tanks.

Thanks.

tfisher88

Reaction score
Hello here is an update.

The Plumber was out and determned in seconds that it was the outlet from the tank. The tank was drained a little and then the connection to the tank was removed and cleaned. THere was sedimet in the pipe which restricted the water from leaving the tank.

Thanks for your help LLigetfa

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks