Hot water out of cold taps - plumber is stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

Bustergordon

Reaction score
dhla, your man Jerry has a guy at my house right now reinstalling the pump and installing new check valves. He's also doing some other work to fix how these water heaters were installed...

Hope this fixes the problem!

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
This isn't a unique situation. My sister's new-construction home came with a recirc system, installed "retrofit" style (no dedicated return line) AND no thermostatic (4-way) valve (in a million dollar home, they scrimped on $20 worth of PEX to run a return line!).

When the recirc pump was off (running on a timer), the bathroom at the end of the line (where the hot-cold crossover occured) would get warm-to-hot water out of the cold taps until enough cold water was run to flush the line. If you had the misfortune of being in the shower in that bathroom when the pump came on, you got scalding water out of both taps and no way to regulate it.

dhla

Reaction score
Glad to hear it - I hope he does a good job for you... he has always done so for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks