Hot Water Mystery- Help!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by MissLizzie85, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MissLizzie85

MissLizzie85 New Member

My husband and I are having a problem that our plumber can't quite figure out. We've lived in our house (a 2 bath) for almost 3 years. Until about a year ago, we got great hot water in all of the sinks, showers, etc. One year ago, the water started maxing out at lukewarm in ONE BATHROOM. When we flush the toilet, it gets hot- otherwise, it stays at warm. Recently, the kitchen sink has had a similar problem- won't get past warm after running it for a few minutes- when the sink in the next room gets hot immediately. The utility sink and the washer still get scalding hot in a matter of seconds. What is going on?? The plumber checked the heating components in the hot water heater and said they're working fine. If it were a piping issue, wouldn't the problem have started earlier than a year ago?
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

My guess is the shower has a faulty pressure balance spool valve causing a crossover.