Hot water issues

Users who are viewing this thread

lefty

Reaction score
This may not seem strange to you guys but to me it is. I cannot get hot water in my kitchen sink unless I first turn on the hot water in my shower. I have plenty of water pressure on the hot water side. I have flushed the water heater just to cover that. Any ideas?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is it that you get NO water at all, or you get water but it is not hot? If the latter, does it eventually get hot if you let it run a long time?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Several things you could look for .check shut off under k/s.If it off and
have single valve faucet it might byassing hot to cold and coming out
the cold side of the k/s faucet.More info would help.

lefty

Reaction score
Re:

I have plenty of water pressure it just doesn't get hot unless I turn on the water in the shower first.

lefty

Reaction score
I have double valve faucet with two seperate water supplies under the sink.
one hot and one cold.

lefty

Reaction score
one thing, i have an expansion tank in line before the suply line gets to the water heater. It is warm and when I turn on the hot water I can put my hand on it and it doesn't feel anything is leaving it and also it doesn't cool off any. could it be stopped up and could that be the culprit?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
One VERY good question...you say you get no hot water at the KS faucet...are you getting ANY water on the hot side when the shower is off?

lefty

Reaction score
about a yr old give or take a little bit. It's a State Select 40 gal.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Ok I thougt abuot long hard .You may have a broken off dip tube inside
the w/h.It can cause cold to become warm.look up w/h and
expansion tanks.This may help better under stand how they work.

lefty

Reaction score
yes I get water with good pressure on the hot side of the k/s when the shower is not on. It's like I have to prime it by turning the hot water on in the shower to make it get hot in the sink. Then it gets hot. I turn the shower off the water in the sink cools to luke-warm.

lefty

Reaction score
I will check although, the shower water stays hot, way longer than it has to. it is only in the kitchen sink that it either isn't getting hot or isn't staying hot without the hot side of the shower turned on.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
This sound slike you might have trouble at the shower valve.."path of least resistance" type trouble.
If the shower valve is allowing cold to get by into the hot line and it's less distance, fewer offests or larger pipe..(a few other variables) the cold is possibley cross feeding into the hot side through the shower...when you open the shower it closes the cross connection...you might start by letting us know what type shopwer valve it is.
If it has a balancing cartridge, that could be the trouble...cartridge might be ceased...partially of fully.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Kinda funny, each of these scenario's are things I think each of us would look for if on the job.
I just don't see how turning the hot on in the shower could cause a laundry valve to bypass and allow hot to flow...I stand with my "guestimate" that the trouble is at the shower valve...even though it's not a single handle I'm guessing the cold is somehow crossing to hot in the the closed position.
There are too many variables to come to a quick, definitive conclusion by eeking out details one post at a time.
Opening the hot on the shower would only further enhance the trouble if it were the laundry by reducing volume on the hot at the kitchen.
For fun we could wager..."gentlemens bets".

lefty

Reaction score
well... I do not have hot water going to my washer. never have had, never connected it as my better half washes EVERYTHING in cold water. as for the shower i have no idea what kind it is its in the wall on the other side of the tile, I can tell you only that thereis 2 supply lines running to it, one hot, one cold. this is how my layout is when talking about one being closer to the water heater than the other utillity room with water heater--- washer-----------------kitchen sink---------- Shower.
The shower being the farthest thing from the water heater, the washing machine the closest, with the kitchen sink about 3/4 of the way between the shower and water heater.
like i told you earlier, this morning Iflushed the water heater and it had only minimal effect. now, however, the water gets hot. i made no other changes in anything anywhere. this house is older, built in 1969. plumbing and wiring are two projects I'm going to have to face in the near future I think wiring will come first because it would upset me greatly to burn my house down right after I redid my plumbing.
I'd love to know what caused this problem, maybe it was the sediment in the tank. Thats the only thing I did. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks