Hot Water Issue

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by smangold, Jan 19, 2011.

1. smangold

smangold New Member

I hate to ask this question because I do see similar ones posted, but here goes...

I have a Weil McLain WTGO 3L oil boiler that supplies baseboard heat and domestic hot water. Over the past several weeks we have gone from having an ample supply hot water to a trickle of lukewarm water (at best). We actually need to run the shower for 10 minutes before the water warms up. Even then the supply is short lived.

I think I narrowed the problem to two areas (the mix valve or coil).

The mix valve is leaking and corroded. I originally thought that the corroded valve was mixing in too much cold water. However, I decided to do further research on the subject before I replaced it.

While reading older posts, I came to the realization that it could possibly be a bad coil (an idea that I'm leaning towards). Last night while running the shower I touched the hot water line coming from the coil and was able to hold my finger there for several seconds without getting burnt. I assume that under normal circumstances I wouldn't be able to do this, correct? It now seems that warm water is being mixed with cold water.

Does the issue above sound like a bad coil? I wanted to seek expert advice before I spent the $200 for a replacement.

The mix valve needs to be replaced regardless...

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    It could be the aquastat...what temp is the boiler at when this happens?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. smangold

smangold New Member

Right now (shower running) the temp is 180. Same thing as usual. I can put my finger on the water line exiting the coil for a few seconds without getting burnt.

Psi seems to be low, a little under 20.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Internal coils can be problematic and only work on relatively low-flow situations...think hand through a candle flame...move it fast and you never notice.

You may be better off spending money on an indirect WH, which operates as a separate zone on the boiler.