HOT water in the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Lea

Reaction score
Hello, We have an builder grade water closet that flushes very hot water. The builder is long gone and we know we must rip into the wall to access the cold water line. That project is not very high on our to-do list; it has been a few years with no progress. A plumber told us, the tank or bowl could crack due to the heat and flood our house with water. Is that an accurate statement? Lea

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I dont know about the hot water cracking the toilet, but I can definitely see a problem with odor coming from the steaming water when one uses the toilet. If it is flushing very hot water, you may not have a cold waterline in the wall at all. Is there access down below the toilet: ie a basement or crawl space? If so you could tie into a cold line there and run a new line up through the floor to the toilet.

Good luck

Lea

Reaction score
The toilet is next to the bathrub therefore the cold water must be in the wall to serve the tub. The water in the toilet after only one flush is extremely hot. It is one of those lousy two flush toilets. The hot water does a darn good job of cleaning the bowl. Fortunately, no smell problems.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
toilet cracking

yes your toilet could crack with the right circumstances.

if yoiu have standing water over night that gets is at room temp,

then you take a shower and get the hot water realy hot first,

then youi flush the toilet and send hot hot water into the cold tank

it can stress the china more than enough to get a crackin it

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Since the toilet is next to the tub then yes there will be a cold waterline somewhere in the wall. Now, can you get to the cold waterline without having to take out too much drywall, tile and/or a fiberglass surround? You really wont be able to determine that until you open up the wall and see if there's a stud in the way or not.

Lea

Reaction score
crackin toilet

master plumber mark said:
yes your toilet could crack with the right circumstances.

if yoiu have standing water over night that gets is at room temp,

then you take a shower and get the hot water realy hot first,

then youi flush the toilet and send hot hot water into the cold tank

it can stress the china more than enough to get a crackin it

Thanks for you advice. I guess that project needs to go to the top of the To-Do list. I've been dreading it due to the disruption to faux paint treatment, dry wall, cement board removal, tile removal, and who knows what I will get into once the drywall is cut. I'm pooped just thinking about it.

mrjetskey

Reaction score
If you can get underneath,IE crawlspace,Would it be easier just to run a short cold line from an accessable pipe.I know chances are you cant get tile to match,and all the other items that can come in the way.Perhaps you will be able to find a close by coldwater line.OR for A really crazy idea, you could swap your hot water line with the cold water line for the whole house and then turn your faucet cartridges 180 degrees.(IM only kidding,but it beats tearing up a beautiful bath,since I have seen some tile jobs that run 20 grand!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dumb idea

IT would cure this one, but then all the other toilets would be messed up and they would have to cut into the walls to fix them. Proabably what happened is that the plumber connected that bathroom to the wrong risers and cross connected the sink and reversed the tub/shower to make it come out right.

raygunclan

Reaction score
if you can't fix the problem, maybe you could patent it and sell it as a "butt facial"! :rolleyes:
i'm sorry for that, but i've just flushed my toilet for a half hour straight and can't get "everything" down, so i'm a little punchy.
good luck and i sure hope you can find that builder!
suzanne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks