Hot water in Cold line/basement rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

zerolast

Reaction score
I had plumbing roughed-in for a full bath down in the basement a few months ago. When I run the kitchen and upstairs bathroom faucets, we get hot water in the cold line for a few moments. I checked the rough-in lines in the basement tonight and the hot and cold water lines going through the new bathroom are both quite hot. I have a shower that is rough-ed in as well. Could this be the mixing point for the hot and cold water? How do I take care of this as I might not want to finish the rough-in for a couple more months. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Dave

zerolast

Reaction score
Yes, it is a delta with just a gray knob where I assume the cartridge will go. Is there a temporary fix without finishing this off?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

NO. it is designed to pressurize both hot and cold lines in a new situation where the hot water heater is probably not installed, and the two systems may not be connected together any other way.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats some crystal ball huh? There seems to be a rash of these Delta rough in hot/cold cross connections lately. It seems to be a common installer error. You either need to install the cartridge or, put valves in the supply pipes to the Delta valve and turn them off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

I suppose the idea is that it is either going into a new construction where the crossover is helpful, or a remodel where the trim is usually installed almost immediately. The one thing Delta does not want is for the installer to put it in, turn on the water and assume there is no leak, but not have water pressure on the hot side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks