Hot water heater: weak pilot signal detected

Users who are viewing this thread

mommiegeek

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a Bradford White water heater that is a year and a half old. I went down to check on its status after my shower went from lukewarm to just above cold in a few minutes. The status LED is blinking, indicating the message "Weak pilot signal," and the message continues to say that the system will restart when the signal is stronger (don't recall the exact wording of the whole message, but the information is printed right on a label on the water heater.)

My question: is this something my husband or I can fix or do we need to contact a plumber? Also, how long should we wait for the system to reset before it's considered a real problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In most gas fired water heaters, there's a thermocouple that needs to be positioned properly in the pilot flame to enable the main burner to turn on. If the pilot is not burning properly, it may not be heating that thermocouple enough to generate the needed signal to enable the main burner. That can be caused by numerous things, but a few of them are: lint or dirt buildup in the air inlet screen, crud in the gas valve that is preventing the proper amount of gas to get to the pilot, soot accumulation on the thermocouple, a poor connection of the thermocouple to the control, or a bad thermocouple. The thermocouple usually looks like a small diameter, metal rod that sits either in or next to the pilot flame. It might start working if you clean it off or bend its support bracket slightly to position it in the flame so it will get hotter and generate a stronger signal.

First thing I'd probably do is try to view the pilot and the thermocouple.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
call the plumber that installed the bradford white heater
because you probably have a weak thermopile or a bad thermostat...
if the unit is only a year old the parts are totally free and under warranty....
this brand switched to that ICON valve back in 2010 and its has been nothing
but problems with them... we are constantly changeing out
parts on units all the time... some for free and some for $$$.
your plumber should be keenley aware of the problem....

you will probably be charged a service call unless they gave you
a longer labor warranty than normal...

Gary L Braun

Reaction score
Recently, The Gas company changed the gas meter at my residence. Then they required entrance to my home to relight the hot water heater. The technician stated I had a weak pilot light. He preheated the thermocouple to get it to stay lit. He left. The pilot didn't stay lit.
Can the change of a gas meter cause a weak pilot light. For over 10 years prior to the meter change, a weak pilot light has not been an issue.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary,

I don't think that replacing the gas meter caused it, but maybe shutting off the pilot did it.
There is a trouble shooting schedule in your owner's manual or on line you can use to diagnose the cause. If you can't do it, a call to a plumber might help, but won't be cheap.

BTW, if the WH is over 10 years old, consider replacing it, and avoid the repair.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that the new gas meter's pressure regulator is set slightly lower, and the gas valve may need to be adjusted. You need special tools to monitor that to do a proper job and to verify that's the problem. It's also possible that shutting the supply off, installing the new meter, then turning it back on blew some crud into the gas metering orifice, and it's not getting the full flow.

Alan Queen

Reaction score
A few different details but he same thing happen to me. "The Gas company changed the gas meter at my residence. Then they required entrance to my home to relight the hot water heater. The technician never told me I had a weak pilot light. but one weak later morning shower was not what it should be. I was not getting any signal at that time. When I finally got it lit the i am getting weak pilot. I haven't done any thing yet but was hoping to blow it out and not have to remove or replace any parts.

Maybe the change of a gas meter can cause a weak pilot light. My is eight years old with no problem till they replaced the meter?.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks