Hot water heater questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I have a John Woods oil fired hot water heater with Beckett/Carlin burner.
JWF657
Installed 8/11/05
63 Gallon capacity.

I have been getting sediment and rust, periodically.
Draining and flushing is not an option right now, but when it warms up I can try.
What might be going on? I am almost certain the rust and sediment is coming from the unit and not the water supply (I am on a well) because the filtration system does not show an issue pre-water heater.
Generally,what is the life of these things?
How does the unit die? Gradually or dramatically?
Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Installed 8/11/05
63 Gallon capacity.

I have been getting sediment and rust, periodically.
Draining and flushing is not an option right now, but when it warms up I can try.
What might be going on? I am almost certain the rust and sediment is coming from the unit and not the water supply (I am on a well) because the filtration system does not show an issue pre-water heater.

The sacrificial anode protects the steel where the glass lining has cracked. Your anode has probably been depleted for a good while. Most plumbers would replace your water heater. If he touches it by putting in an anode, and something fails soon thereafter, he will be blamed-- even if the work he did did not cause the failure.

I am not a pro. I would change the anode, but it probably needs a good impact wrench with a 1-1/16" impact socket. If it fails, I can only blame myself. Even when new, they screw those in much tighter than they should. Add some deposits and corrosion, it is even harder to remove. Some water heaters have the anode somewhat hidden. If you see a 1-1/16 hex head on top of your WH, that is the anode. A few have 2 anodes.

If you are considering tackling that, let us know. Otherwise start shopping for your new WH.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
12-years...I think you're lucky. The high temp burner and the shock of cold water mean that the (steel?) liner will get shocked, and the liner isn't perfect, either. Even with anodes, ships, piers, etc. still wear out over time, and those, they don't let their anodes degrade to nothing in between replacements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks