Hot water heater not producing enough hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

S Erickson

Reaction score
I have five year old Rheem 40 gal gas hot water heater. Up until recently it has performed flawlessly. Within the last month, we have begun to run out of hot water after a shower and a half. It does pop when heating which I believe indicates mineral build up. I flushed the tank and ran water through it until the water ran clear. It still pops some when heating. I have the temp set as high as it will go and it does get very hot. There is just not enough of it. Is there something other than mineral build up that would cause this to happen? Do I need to flush with vinegar or some other de-lime product? Thanks for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
I flushed the tank and ran water through it until the water ran clear.
I think you are implying that the water was very much not clear initially. Did you get sand and rocks out? A full-flow drain can make washing stuff out easier.

To flush the debris from the water heater, you can drain the water.
Then turn on the supply pipe on full with the drain open. Turn off
the water until most of the draining stops. Repeat. The surge can
help wash stuff out. You could also have put your wand from the
pressure washer in there. I replaced my side faucet with a 3/4 NPT
schedule 80 CPVC nipple followed by a ball valve. Since my water
is well water, I wanted a nice big path for flushing. I plan to change the nipple to brass.
If I were doing it today, I would get the Rheem AP12231B-1.

A wand from an electric pressure washer played into the anode hole or even the full port valve seems like it might be very effective.

Is this water from your well, and do you get hot water smell?

There are stronger delime products. I will message you. You can also use more water spray/swirl to get more out.

S Erickson

Reaction score
Supply is city water and I do not get any smell.

When I flushed originally, there was a definite cloudiness to the water at the end.

So a buildup of deposits could cause this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think so. I am not a pro.

Hard water, no softener? Certainly a possibility.

http://centennialwater.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Water-hardness-fact-sheet-0117-x2.pdf says
Centennial Water’s water levels usually range between 11 to 13 grains per gallon​
So the water might be 20 grains per gallon at times, given the wording they chose to use.

You could benefit from a softener.

Cloudiness? Cloudiness can be one effect of an aluminum anode. My flush was more impressive, but was not city water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks