Hot Water Heater Life Span

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Nice...and my finger tips will be reaching forth, grasping shrimp by the tail and dropping them into my belly watching for the response by others...

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
I replaced an 11 year old electric W/H that was working fine. It was a forty gallon unit, and I replaced it during a bathroom remodel that added a tub/shower and washer. I didn't think the 40 gal would keep up with the new usage requirements.
What I didn't expect was a large saving in energy..! The new 80 gal heater was so much more efficient, it cost half as much to operate as the 40 gal unit.
The world has come a long ways in 11 years, efficiency alone is reason enough to change an 11 years old unit.
I'm not a plumber, but I write the checks, and saving momey excites me...1

theplumber

Reaction score
With new water heaters these days I would avoid changing it unless it's neccessary. If you have a heater with a brass hose bib at the bottom draining them tends to be fairly easy. If it's a plastic hose bib there's a chance it won't stop leaking afterwards. You haven't touched it in 11 years now have you, so chances are it's not used to being touched. Important things to look for is corrosion around the nipples coming out of the top of the unit, this can be a bad sign that not everyone knows what looks bad verses what is actually bad.

Not talking about venting, I'm assuming it was all done properly and doesn't look rotten out. The other important thing is the relief valve. Sometimes they don't work if they get real old and never have to open up. If this is the case then opening it up for the first time could cause it to drip forever after. You could end up having to change that or maybe should change it if you are worried about if failing to function in the future. This of course increases a small chance of the tank cracking whenever you drain it down and disassemble and reassemble an old unit. But this is always a chance, and it's better to attempt these tasks when you are prepaired to go the distance if you have to.

Some older heaters go 20 years. It depends on use, craftsmanship, luck, quality of water supply.... If you ask me about new heaters, I'd say your older ones are more reliable than the current generation of products available to you. Go B&W if you do and stay away from American water heaters no matter what. I'm told the current GE water heaters found in ********* are actually American heaters so you need to get to know what their burner assembly looks like so you know what to avoid. A telltale sign is on the bottom of the heater. If it's on legs and has a rectangular area underneath it with a microscreen - it's an American WH and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Now this would be a "Hot Water Heater"

booster.gif
:D

After all it does take hot water and make it hotter doesn't it?

I would consider Bradford White to be a great choice. However if you are not opposed to spending more and are planning on owning the house for a long time you may want to consider one of these. http://www.htproducts.com/phoenix.html

Probedude

Reaction score
I'm told the current GE water heaters found in ********* are actually American heaters so you need to get to know what their burner assembly looks like so you know what to avoid.

The GE water heaters are still being made by Rheem.

Other than the glass vial FVIR mechanism (one time use only), Rheem I've read is a good quality replacement.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have noticed of late, fewer of the "Whirlpool" brand name water heaters on the shelves at Lowes and more of the other brand names of the American Water Heaters Company like American Proline, Envirotemp, Mor-Flo, Powerflex, Premier Plus and US Craftmaster. This is clearly an effort to further deceive the customers of Lowes as the word of the "Cesspool" debacle is finally having an impact on their sales...

Same Junk just a different name!:mad:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Redwood, what does that cost???

Redwood;175273long time you may want to consider one of these. [URL said:
http://www.htproducts.com/phoenix.html[/URL]

That unit appears to be a glorified power vent water heater

I would hate to have to even attempt to service it

what does it cost??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks