Hot Water heater Connections

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pilotboat, Feb 7, 2007.

1. pilotboat

pilotboat New Member

New hot water heater (GE) has female galvinised pipe fittings built flush to the surface of the tank. A galvinished pipe riser is installed so it can be piped onto a copper adapter. My question is "dosen't the two disimilar metals cause problems down the road?"' and "should pipe dope or teflon tape (or both) be used between the copper fitting and the gal pipe?"
  2. GoTanklessToday

GoTanklessToday In the Trades

Where I'm from, we use flexible copper connectors that are designed to attach to galv fittings. You must use dialectric union if you are going to run your copper water lines straight to the heater.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/plumbing/systems/components/union_de/intro.htm

And by the way, its a cold water heater, not a hot water heater. haha
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The tank should have had the nipples included. They are not galvanized, but a material that will safely make the transition to the copper flex lines. I use the old fashioned pipe compound rather than tape, but tape will work.
  4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

If you have a re-circ system, it could be considered both...LOL
  5. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Boy am I confused... I thought it was a heater that made the cold water hot???? Or does the heater make it cold???? HELP>>> I'm going to weird out.
  6. GoTanklessToday

GoTanklessToday In the Trades

Touche! :D
  7. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Our area has hard water, so I remove the factory nipples and use brass.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

if you are going to pedantic over semantics, then it is a "cold water heater" for a couple of minutes until the water is raised one degree. Then it becomes a "warm water" heater until the water temperature increases even more. At that point it becomes a "hot water" heater until the thermostat is satisfied.