Hot water from cold water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

pupman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am pupman and new to this forum, hope someone can point me in the right direction. This may not seem like I am in the right place but its the only one left that makes some sense...
I am getting hot water from all my cold side pipes, even the outdoor faucets coming right off the well itself.
There has been NO work done on any of the piping so nothing is crossed there, had read that Moen single handle faucets could be the blame but I have ruled that out with the volume of water coming out the taps all faucets single and two handle would have to of gone out at the same time....This leads me to think that it may have to do with the iron filter on well. I have had this filter bypassed for several months due to very low water pressure. With this bypass on the water pressure is up where it should be....The cold water inlet to WH is very warm which leads me to think that water is backflowing out of the WH. Have now turned off WH due to the just arrived electric bill.....it very hot here in Ga. so a cold shower is really not that bad....I think "bracing" is a good word for it.....I am thinking that I have a block in the cold water line ...just not sure where to start or what to do about it short of dismantling entire filter and its componets...............Anyone have any ideas, hints, answers.....................

Thanks in advance
Pupman

Reach4

Reaction score
I would turn on a cold faucet that is running hot. Then feel around your various faucet pipes. The hottest cold pipe should be the one with the sneak path.

Do you have a mixing contraption on the top of your WH? That would be a good place to start feeling, it seems to me.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I doubt that the water heater can drain back into the well. And even if it did there would not be enough hot water to heat up the ground and have hot water come back at you for any length of time.

My guess, and I have seen this before, it that you have a hole in the pipe above the well pump. The water is circulating around and around and getting hotter and hotter. The one I have seen had been running this way long enough, that after we fixed the hole in the pipe down hole, it still pumped hot water for a week before it started cooling down. Apparently the entire aquifer was heated up and took a while for the incoming water to cool off the well again.

You should be seeing a pretty large increase in the electric bill for the well pump?

pupman

Reaction score
to Reach 4 and valveman thanks for replies
will turn on wh tonite to do more checking in am but.....there is no mixing contraption and when the WH was on did not think to check pressure tank again another check for the morning

Reach4

Reaction score
to Reach 4 and valveman thanks for replies
will turn on wh tonite to do more checking in am but.....there is no mixing contraption and when the WH was on did not think to check pressure tank again another check for the morning

If the heat is generated in the well, the water would stay warm/hot while the WH is off when you draw water. So if you use water and the bottom of the pressure tank does not get warm, the warm water would be from your WH rather than from your well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks