Hot water delay

Users who are viewing this thread

bruno

Reaction score
I'm hoping I can find some insight on this forum. Thank you in advance!

I am in a 6 unit condo, we have a hot water recirculation loop with pump on a timer. The system has no balancing valves. My kitchen faucet takes a long time to receive hot water. Below are the times and temps I recorded to receive hot water. For reference I've attached a layout diagram and images. My unit is #5.

Times in min:second

With pump on
30 seconds = 71*F
1 min = 103*F
1:30 = 115*F

With pump off
1:00 = 86*F
2:00 = 89*F
3:00 = 88*
4:00 = 88*F
5:00 = 89*F
7:00 = 95*F
13:00 = 111*F

When the pump is running the faucet will eventually receive 125*F, which is the set point at the water heater.

The worst case, when the pump is off, occurs when no one else in the building creating no demand at the end of the line to pull hot water. My bathroom fixtures do not have the same issue as the kitchen, presumably because it's closer to the water heater.

After reading some articles on here I thought the remedy could be a check valve after the last fixture; in the crawl space under unit 2. But then I noticed what looks like a check valve after the pump; see attached image. With a check valve after the pump it would stop a fixture from pulling water from the return line, right? Even if the check valve and the fixture are that far away from each other?

Thanks again,

Bruno

*edited for clarity

Attachments

• hot water diag.jpg
    hot water diag.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 216
  • water heater.jpg
    water heater.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water will flow via the least resistance path. The return should nominally, only need one path which forces the water from one end to the other without multiple side taps. IF each condo has a common feed, and they tapped the hot for return in each unit, without some balancing, you'd never get it even. If there were only one return tap and it was at the furthest unit from the WH, then that hot water would need to pass by every condo's inlet, and other than from the pipes radiating and losing some heat, you should have max hot water temp after only draining from your main inlet to the fixture in use.

bruno

Reaction score
My apologies for the delay in reply. Thank you for the reply Jim.

We have a common hot supply line that runs under the building. All units tap into it for hot water. At the end of that supply line it returns to the hot water heater. If I'm understanding you correctly that is the 2nd scenario you described. Hopefully adding the balancing valves on the return, near the pump, will remedy the situation.

Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A return line without a check valve and a working pump, and when you try to access hot water, it may be coming from the return line if the resistance is less. That typically means pulling it from the cold end of the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks