Hot water boiler is losing pressure/water

Users who are viewing this thread

tmira0325

Reaction score
My residential hot water boiler is losing most of its water out of the overflow & therefore its pressure. I've had to keep my city water feed turned off(filling manually daily)because of this water loss. Whats happening is i open my city water feed & it stops @ around 13psi(leading me to believe my pressure reducing valve is working properly). Nothing leaks out of my overflow, until the system heats up. Obviously, once heated the pressure goes up & gets to around 30psi, then my overflow opens & releases water(so i think my pressure relieving valve works) until the pressure is back down to around 13psi. However, once the system isnt calling for demand & the temp drops, then my psi goes down to around 0. If i leave the city water feed open, then the process repeats itself. I might not be saying this right, but i think you'll get the gist of it. I've been told i might have a faulty expansion tank, but when i open the air valve above expansion tank, only air comes out, no water. Any help appreciated

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like your expansion tank is toast. Replace it, and things will probably improve. That tank should sound (and feel) mostly empty. My guess is that it is full of water and the bladder is shot. If you momentarily open the Schrader valve (same as on your car tire) on the bottom of the tank, my guess is that it will squirt water - a sure sign it has failed. If it doesn't, it's possible that the valve leaked all of the air out, and a recharge can help (must be done with the water off and the pressure relieved).

tmira0325

Reaction score
Sounds like your expansion tank is toast. Replace it, and things will probably improve. That tank should sound (and feel) mostly empty. My guess is that it is full of water and the bladder is shot. If you momentarily open the Schrader valve (same as on your car tire) on the bottom of the tank, my guess is that it will squirt water - a sure sign it has failed. If it doesn't, it's possible that the valve leaked all of the air out, and a recharge can help (must be done with the water off and the pressure relieved).
Thanks, im going to try switching out the expansion tank. Hopefully that does the trick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks