Hot water at cold side all faucets

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ben1111, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ben1111

ben1111 New Member

Hello,

I have a home in Chicago that has hot water to all faucets on cold side. There are Grohe thermostatic valves at all showers (4). Only recent work was a new water heater 3 months ago. I am at a loss any help would be appriciated! Thanks in advance!

Ben
  2. Esquire

Esquire Plumber

Were they normal at some point? If just one of those faucets was failing there could be a potential cross connection. I have seen a couple of occassions where this has happened, but it has usually been with a cheap brand faucet.
  3. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Or more likely eather the water heater was hook up wrong i have seen even professional

plumbers do this !

Or you could be missing the dip tube ?

If this problem started about same time as wtr/htr was changed out that is where you

need to start looking !
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Check your messages on your profile page ! ! !
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Reversing the connections to a water heater does NOT change the hot/cold orientation of the faucets. ALL it does is reduce the amount of hot water available. Changing hot to cold, and vice versa, requires a piping change somewhere.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Do you have any kind of recirulating system? A failed check valve or improperly installed system could be a problem. If you have a retrofit recir, then warm to hot at the cold tap is a normal side effect. If you run a cold tap for a few minutes, does it turn cold, or stay hot?
  7. ben1111

ben1111 New Member

Thanks for the replies. There is not a recirc line, and the water heater was replaced 3 months ago and worked fine untill three days ago. I think that the check valves in one of the Grohe thermostatic mixing valve hav gone bad allowing the water to pass? They are all about 4 years old. I have read that the washing machine selonoid gould also be bad. I will look further into this, and hape to find a resolution to it.

The water will eventually get "cold", but stays warm for a while!
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Washing machine solenoid valves CANNOT cause the problem, regardless of what you have heard.