"hot" valve/cartridge vs. "cold" valve/cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Awake

Reaction score
On a tub fixture with separate hot and cold valves, am I right in thinking that the only actual difference between the hot-side valve and cold-side valve is the direction that it turns? I.e., is it really a matter of left-side cartridge/valve and right-side cartridge/valve?

I ask because, on the tub where I am replacing the fixtures, the old fixtures were set up in a rather non-standard way. Due to the placement of the fixtures, the original installation has the hot water on the left and cold on the right as you stand OUTSIDE the tub. However, I don't really want the handles on the new fixtures to turn to the outside; I want them to turn to the inside. Thus, I want to mount the hot/left cartridge on the left as you stand INSIDE the tub ... but changing that to actually be the hot water rather than the cold will involve some surgery to the way the existing pipes are run.

So bottom line: other than the fact that it is non-standard placement, is there any reason I can't run cold water through the hot valve, and hot water through the cold valve?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only difference between the hot side and the cold side is the label on the handle. If you have "round" handles both hot and cold rotate the same way. Only lever handles rotate in opposite directions and the placement of the faucet determines which rotates CCW or CW.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks