Hot Tub Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin Funston

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a couple questions about installing a hot tub in our back yard.
I have to run about 45 feet of cable indoors from the primary breaker panel to the outside wall where it will connect to the subpanel GFCI shutoff on the outside of the house.
When the cable comes out of the house it will be low to the ground, so, can't go directly into the back of that subpanel, I will do conduit from where it comes out of the house, and up to the panel (about 1.5-2ft). My question is can I use romex/NMD90 6/3 for this? I know romex is acceptable for indoors, and into the back of the panel on the outside of the wall. But, since mine has to come out of the house in conduit and up about 2 feet to the subpanel on the outside wall, is this okay? If not, what would you guys recommend? Would I use THHN right from the inside panel all the way through the house to the outside panel?
Then from the GFCI outside panel, I'll use THHN in conduit or direct bury wire to the hot tub.

Thanks,
Justin.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
romex® is not allowed in a conduit, so you'd need to put a box on the inside and switch to a wire suitable for use in conduit.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
romex® is not allowed in a conduit, so you'd need to put a box on the inside and switch to a wire suitable for use in conduit.

Really ?

First time I have heard that.

What does the brand have to do with it, if it is the correct type of wire ?

I must have missed something Big Time, and was sleeping in class.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
National Electrical Code 2011
ARTICLE 300 Wiring Methods
I. General Requirements
300.5 Underground Installations.
(B) Wet Locations. The interior of enclosures or raceways installed underground shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in these enclosures or raceways in underground installations shall be listed for use in wet locations and shall comply with 310.10(C). Any connections or splices in an underground installation shall be approved for wet locations.
300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above Grade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations above grade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations above grade shall comply with 310.10(C).
ARTICLE 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS
II. Installation
334.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(B) Types NM and NMS. Types NM and NMS cables shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:
(4) In wet or damp locations

Running it outside would, I think, maybe wrong here, be considered a wet area and thus prohibited.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
You are correct, no NM outside. Also an insulated equipment grounding conductor is required for the tub

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks