Hot to fix a hole in a Porcelain Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Turbo_Boss

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have a hole in my porcelain bathtub. I cant use it any more because the water is coming out and getting to my neighbor ceiling.

The hole is NOT around the bathtub drain.

Is there is a way to fix this hole? I was checking on the net for a kit to repair this but I dont find anything.

I really appreciated your advise.

Thx,

Isaac

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a cast iron tub? Or, literally porcelain? In neither case will I think you'll find a permanent solution without replacing it. In the USA, you can find companies that make custom liners, but those tend to not work great for more than a few years, and often fail near the drain. There are some industrial sealants, but they are not designed as wear surfaces or necessarily look all that great.

Turbo_Boss

Reaction score
Is this a cast iron tub? Or, literally porcelain? In neither case will I think you'll find a permanent solution without replacing it. In the USA, you can find companies that make custom liners, but those tend to not work great for more than a few years, and often fail near the drain. There are some industrial sealants, but they are not designed as wear surfaces or necessarily look all that great.

Hey Jadnashua,

Yes, this is a Cast Iron with porcelain finish or enameled steel.

I really dont care if the fix is not going to look all great............. I can buy anything in USA and bring it to my country in a week. So thats why I was asking is there is a repair kit for this type of bathtube.

I was thinking using JB Weld, so its look like I need to sand that area and do a patch with the JB Glue. Maybe use the JB glue and some type of material over the glue like a patch.

Any advice?

Thx for your time and help

Isaac

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
KerdiFix is an awesome sealant, but it is not designed as a wear surface. If you have an actual hole in the CI, cleaning it up enough so you have some solid metal verses rust may be a major pain. E6000 adhesive might last for a bit, but most anything you might try isn't going to last very long, I don't think.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see a lot of hits when I search for waterproof tape.

Wonder how a fiberglass body repair kit from an auto parts store would do.

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
I think JB Weld, with a galvanized piece of steel would work.

Are you patching underneath the tub? From underneath sand well to expose the surface of the cast iron / steel. When cured, you could fill the hole in with Bondo (auto patching cheese).

From the top, make sure the area is clean from soap scum, etc. Use some alcohol or acetone to really clean the area, clean the patching material the same way.

Turbo_Boss

Reaction score
I have NEVER seen a "cast iron" tub develop ANY KIND of leak, unless it is about 300 years old.

LOL

Well, I sand the area and put JB weld epoxy and make a patch. Leaved to cure for 24 hrs.

There is a square hole in the wall in order to see under the bathtub, so right know there is not water.

I know that is difficult to believe that there was a small rice size hole but this thing started with a small flake and rust and then I saw water coming out from the square hole in the wall. I Check inside and there was a pool under the bathtub:eek:

I am going to begin $aving because next time this thing bothers again, I going to remove that bathtub and put tiles

Isaac

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks