Hot/Cold Water crossover

Users who are viewing this thread

rdnyfl

Reaction score
I recently bought a house in Florida. In the kitchen sink sometimes when I turn on the hot water I get cold, sometimes when I turn on the cold water I get hot. I thought this may be a faucet problem but it happens in the bathroom as well. What causes this and how can I correct the problem?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A cross connection, sometimes caused by capping off a fiture and then turning the valve on. It crosses through the open valve.

rdnyfl

Reaction score
A cross connection, sometimes caused by capping off a fiture and then turning the valve on. It crosses through the open valve.

Any idea how to find the cross connection and eliminate the problem?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is only a guess, and there could be something else that is the real problem. Sometimes it is a "normal" condition and cannot be changed, and other times it may take some testing to see if there is a problem and if so how to correct it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is an idea. When you get hot out when cold should be coming out, let the water run. Then feel pipes in the house that you can access to see if any are hot. Then figure the hot ones are in the path of the crossover.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks